Request a Quote
The Swipe scanner includes a wide rail to give a sweep of data before being incremented in the rolling direction. Scan lines are recorded sequentially to give unlimited data collection in the rolling direction for the given scan width of the rail. The Swipe scanner is encoded on both axes and can be configured to operate with a range of probe and wedge combinations.
It is possible to easily interchange the rail to suit the coverage needed with standard widths of 400mm, 600mm and 800mm available. The main body of the Swipe holds the rubber tyre wheels that provide excellent grip and stability on the surface. The wheels stay inboard of the Swipe’s rail making it possible to scan to the edge of components and as close as possible to obstructions. The wheels are linked to assist with maintaining the Swipe scanners direction whilst rolling.
The Swipe scanner incorporates quick-release brakes on both axes that provide stability throughout the scans. The intuitive brakes are lifted when either the rail or the rolling body are moved and are automatically applied when the hand is removed making the Swipe inherently stable during inspections.
The Swipe scanner was initially created with the aerospace industry in mind and is ideal for use in maintenance and repair operations. Its lightweight portable design allows operators to carry it to the aircraft to perform fast and accurate C-Scan inspections with no set-up time. It is more lightweight and portable than alternative scanners and able to cover a relatively large area for its size.
The Swipe can operate with any two-axis flaw detection system, primarily portable phased array instruments. It includes a linear encoder on the sweeping rail and a wheel encoder that rolls against the surface. The encoders can be wired to suit the customer’s instrumentation. Optional accessories include; 4 magnetic wheels for operation on ferritic material, a three button junction box that can be configured to start, pause and save scans providing the user with complete inspection control without the need to leave the scanner.
- Operates on 3” pipe (Ø88.9mm) up to flat
- Accurate positional data acquisition via high resolution encoder (33 steps/mm)
- Versatile pivoting wheel option for B or D scans
- Innovative toolpost ‘lift and lock’ feature: allows for quick change of wedges
- Reliable brake system locks scanner in position, maintaining scan position
- Ideal for difficult to access areas
- Universal tool posts can hold TOFD or phased array probes and wedges
- Tool-Free — adjustments made using thumbscrews
- User-friendly — can be operated using just one hand
- Cost-effective TOFD and phased array inspections
- Interchangeable swipe arms available from 400mm up to 800mm
- Dual axis encoding
- Unlimited scan length (rolling axis)
- Operates in any orientation
- Quick release brake locks rolling axis to maintain position during swipe scan
- Three button junction box to start, pause and save scans
- Quick release handles
- Weight: Max. 5kg (dependent on configuration)
- Encoder resolution: X = 10 steps/mm Y = 1000 steps/mm
- Encoder connector: Any
- For use on ferritic and non-ferritic material
- Can be used with any manufacturers probes, wedges and instrumentation
Model Length (X) Width (Y) mm (in.) Height (Z) mm (in.) Swipe 400 unlimited 400 (16) 155 (6.2) Swipe 600 unlimited 600 (24) 155 (6.2) Swipe 800 unlimited 800 (32) 155 (6.2)
- Kit & Accessories
- 1 x Swipe arm (400, 600, or 800) with integrated brake and encoder
- 1 x toolpost to hold 40mm wide probe or wedge
- 1 x scanning frame with integrated brake
- 4 x rubber wheels
- 1 x sprung loaded encoder
- 1 x encoder junction box with 5m cable
- 1 x Irrigation tubing and accessories
- 1 x Protective carry case
- 4 x magnetic wheels – for operation on ferritic material
- 1 x encoder junction box with operator buttons and 5m cable: enables scans to be started, paused and saved from the scanner
- 1 x PA toolpost – provides a stronger loading of the probe onto the part surface
- 1 x custom probe base – different widths available to suit any probe or wedge
- 1 x couplant delivery pump – automated or manual versions available
This two axis manual scanner is a fast, portable system for performing C-Scan inspection (such as damage detection in composites) of flat or curved components. Swipe is suitable for inspection with ultrasonic linear array transducers to provide rapid large area coverage.
The Swipe should be used nominally on flat surfaces and can accommodate curvature as is typically found in aerospace, wind turbine and marine structures. With the addition of magnetic wheels Swipe can also be used on ferritic material.