Dual-Axis Motorised Pipe Weld Scanner
The SAGE range of manipulators are designed for automated ultrasonic inspection of pipe and nozzle welds, including elbow to elbow welds, across a broad range of pipe diameters. The system can deliver up to eight conventional ultrasonic, eddy current or phased array probes in a two-axis motorised modular design. The scanner drives around a ring which provides highly accurate raster capability in both circumferential and axial directions for inspections requiring the highest precision.
The SAGE family of scanners includes: Mini SAGE, SAGE and Maxi SAGE each designed for the inspection of welds on pipework with varying geometries (see specification table below). SAGE scanners are modular by design and have interchangeable configurations with light-weight components and tool free assembly allowing for rapid setup. The manipulator carriage is driven on a split mounting ring which fits to the nozzle or pipe with adjustable fixing feet to allow the ring to fit on a range of diameters. The axial drive unit, which can have a stroke length of up to 1000mm, holds the probes, wedges and couplant feed tubes and can be rapidly attached or removed from the main drive unit and be replaced with a smaller axial drive for areas with obstructions.
The SAGE range of scanners has been successfully deployed within nuclear power stations world-wide and are typically used for automated inspection of steam generator inlet nozzles and pipework inspection, including elbow to elbow welds. SAGE manipulators have been developed over the past 25 years to incorporate the latest design and technological advances and can be customised for specific application requirements.
- Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR) – Primary circuit pipework
- Reactor Pressure Vessel (RPV) – Inlet and Outlet nozzles and Nozzle safe end welds
- Steam Generator Hot and Cold Leg Nozzles
- Evolutionary Pressurised Reactor (EPR) – Secondary circuit, Feedwater and main steam line welds
- Elbow to Elbow welds
Request to Quote
Send us a request to quote by selecting the options required. A member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible with more information.
Dual-Axis Motorised Pipe Weld Scanner
- 1 x Manipulator
- 1 x Mounting Ring with clamp feet
- 1 x Circumferential Drive
- 1 x Axial Drive
- 8 x Standard transducer toolposts
- 1 x 12m umbilical cable delivering all required services (incl. couplant)
- 1 x Protective transport case
The SAGE manipulator range is designed for inspection of welds on pipework with the following geometries:
|Minimum Pipe Diameter
|Maximum Pipe Diameter
|Maximum Nozzle Taper
|Minimum Nozzle Bend Radius
|Minimum Pipe Bend Radius
|From Pipe Radially
|From Pipe Axially
NOTE: Other configurations and pipe diameters can be accommodated using interchangeable mounting rings and fixing feet.
- Tethered and captive parts
- Can be assembled by two operators in less than 10 minutes
- Manipulator carriage driven on a split mounting ring consisting of hardened vee slide with integral gear
- Main drive unit is fixed to one half of mounting ring in order that the pre-load on the journals and the motor pinion mesh can be set prior to inspection
- Axial drive unit holds up to six probes and their associated services can be rapidly attached or removed from the main drive unit by locating on two dowels with two captive thumbscrews
- Magnetic feet available
- Feet also available for fixing to curved or straight pipes
- Rugged field-proven construction
- Has a minimum footprint
- Components in direct contact with the plant are compatible with Nuclear Plant requirements
- Complies with the latest European Machinery Directives on safety
- In the event of service interruption [to the manipulator] inspections can be reinstated without operator intervention at the work face
- If services are permanently lost, the manipulator can be removed from the plant by moving the circumferential and axial drives manually. The unit will not back drive under its own weight.