Manual X-Y Scanner
The Swipe is a two-axis scanner for c-scan inspection of flat or curved components of any material. It features automatic brakes on both axes for stability and is available with interchangeable scanning rails of different widths. It is ideal for use with linear phased array transducers.
The Swipe scanner includes a wide rail to give a sweep of data before being incremented in the rolling direction. Scan lines are recorded sequentially to give unlimited data collection in the rolling direction for the given scan width of the rail. The Swipe scanner is encoded on both axes and can be configured to operate with a range of probe and wedge combinations.
It is possible to easily interchange the rail to suit the coverage needed with standard widths of 400mm, and 600mm available. The main body of the Swipe holds the rubber tyre wheels that provide excellent grip and stability on the surface. The wheels stay inboard of the Swipe’s rail making it possible to scan to the edge of components and as close as possible to obstructions. The wheels are linked to assist with maintaining the Swipe scanner’s direction whilst rolling.
The Swipe scanner incorporates quick-release brakes on both axes that provide stability throughout the scans. The intuitive brakes are lifted when either the rail or the rolling body is moved and are automatically applied when the hand is removed making the Swipe inherently stable during inspections
The Swipe scanner was initially created with the aerospace industry in mind and is ideal for use in maintenance and repair operations. Its lightweight portable design allows operators to carry it to the aircraft to perform fast and accurate C-Scan inspections with no set-up time. It is more lightweight and portable than alternative scanners and is able to cover a relatively large area for its size.
The Swipe can operate with any two-axis flaw detection system, primarily portable phased array instruments. It includes a linear encoder on the sweeping rail and a wheel encoder that rolls against the surface. The encoders can be wired to suit the customer’s instrumentation. Optional accessories include; 4 magnetic wheels for operation on ferritic material, and a three-button junction box that can be configured to start, pause and save scans providing the user with complete inspection control without the need to leave the scanner.
Request to Quote
Send us a request to quote by selecting the options required. A member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible with more information.
Manual X-Y Scanner
- 1 x Swipe rail (400 or 600) with integrated brake and encoder
- 1 x toolpost to hold 40mm wide probe or wedge
- 1 x scanning frame with integrated brake
- 4 x rubber wheels
- Spring loaded waterproof wheel encoder. IP68 rated
(immersion up to 1m)
- 1 x encoder junction box with 5m cable
- 1 x Irrigation tubing and accessories
- 1 x Protective carry case
- Dual-axis encoding
- Unlimited scan length (rolling axis)
- Operates in any orientation
- Quick-release brake locks rolling axis to maintain position during swipe scan
- Three-button junction box to start, pause and save scans
- Quick-release handles
- Weight: Max. 5kg (dependent on configuration)
- Spring-loaded waterproof wheel encoder. IP68 rated
- Encoder resolution: X = 65.6 steps/mm Y = 1000 steps/mm
- Encoder connector: Any
- For use on ferritic and non-ferritic material
- Can be used with any manufacturers probes, wedges, and instrumentation
- Versatile: unlimited scan length (rolling axis)
- Compact: Ideal for use in restricted access areas
- Fast: quick to set up with quick release features
- Adaptable: for use on any material and in any orientation
- Operator-friendly: features make inspections easy
- Compatible: can be used with any acquisition unit