Motorised Weld Scanner
SAW Bug is a motorised, magnetic-wheeled buggy that can carry up to six ultrasonic TOFD and/or phased array transducers. It is designed for the single axis inspection of circumferential welds on carbon steel pipelines from 4”OD up to flat.
With a four-wheel drive system, the magnetic buggy has excellent grip and drive power and delivers constant speed whether ascending or descending the inspection surface.
The standard SAW Bug holds four transducers: typically two phased array and two TOFD probes but can accommodate up to six probes. Its compact design makes it adaptable for the inspection of a wide range of welds from 4” OD pipes up to large vessels.
The single axis motor is controlled via a simple remote handset offering forward and reverse drive options and variable speed control for the non-steerable magnetic wheels. The motor power unit includes an emergency stop for safety and outputs the live motor encoder signals directly for connection to any industry standard instrumentation.
A corrosion mapping arm is also available, as an optional extra, for SAW Bug to carry out C-scan inspections.
Request to Quote
Send us a request to quote by selecting the options required. A member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible with more information.
Motorised Weld Scanner
- 1 x Buggy with 4 magnetic wheels
- 1 x Adjustable probe frame
- 1 x Single axis Drive motor controller unit
- 1 x Remote handset
- 1 x Laser guide
- Umbilical cable bundle for motor, couplant and probes
- Phased Array and/or TOFD Tool-posts (specify code when ordering)
- 1 x Encoder synchronisation cable (specify instrument when ordering)
- 1 x Run-off mat
- Rugged carry case
SAW Bug - Motorised Single Axis Weld Scanner
- Compact, low profile design: 200 x 220 x 120mm
- Lightweight at only four kilograms
- Range: 4” OD up to flat
- Speed adjustable from 5-100mm/sec
- Compact motor controller for easy transportation
- Holds up to six probes
- Quick release probe adjustment
- Probes independently sprung and gimballed
- Robust construction for site conditions
- Strong magnetic wheels for use on painted surfaces
- Low cost automated single axis inspection
- C-scan inspection with optional corrosion mapping arm
- Quick to setup and operate
- User-friendly operation with simple control handset
- Compatible with all instruments with encoding capabilities
- Powerful four wheel drive system gives excellent grip and performance to overcome small obstructions
- Laser guide for alignment
- No tools required, simple to adjust probe position with thumbscrews