TSIS MDH & Prism
Turbine Shaft Inspection System
For rotor bore inspections in steam turbine shafts, the TSIS system combines both ultrasonic and eddy current techniques simultaneously for volumetric and surface inspections. In use for over 20 years, the TSIS models have a proven track record for reliability and highly accurate flaw detection and operate on bores of varying diameters and lengths.
The TSIS system from Phoenix combines a lightweight inspection head (MDH) which, operates in conjunction with the Phoenix PRISM drive system. Together they offer a reliable, powerful and cost-effective tool offering full automation that is easily deployed.
Construction and Use:
The delivery system (PRISM) is clamped directly to one end of the shaft and axial movement is transmitted to the head via a series of feed rods.
MDH – Multi Diameter Head:
The inspection head locates positively in the bore of the shaft by means of a spring-loaded mechanism that allows it to negotiate changes in the bore diameter caused by ‘chambering’. The stator contains the rotary drive mechanism, slip rings and bearing housing for the rotor.
Inspection Head Rotor Module:
consists of two carrier arms holding probe arrays. They pivot on the barrel of the rotor which can rotate continuously in either direction. The arms are designed to hold the probes in contact with the bore surface to ensure good ultrasonic coupling.
Multi Element Transducers:
Two arrays are used, each being fitted with up to four elements. A typical configuration uses four single element ultrasonic probes, one twin ultrasonic probe and an eddy current array probe. When in position, the head is designed such that each array is loaded against the bore surface but does not support the weight of the head to ensure the arrays are evenly loaded. The probe arrays are also designed to be easily replaced.
The PRISM Drive:
consists of an aluminium modular frame with a linear belt driven carriage which holds the manipulation bars and umbilical for the MDH head. PRISM comes as standard in a flange mounting format but is also available floor mounted. PRISM can be broken down into sections to keep the size of the system as small as possible for transportation.
The TSIS system is compatible with industry standard data acquisition systems meaning that the user can use their standard software platform and reporting formats.
Multi Diameter Head (MDH)
- Simultaneous ultrasonic and eddy current scanning with up to 8 ultrasonic and 7 eddy current elements
- Ultrasonic pre-amplification at the head for improved signal to noise performance
- Helical scanning within the head offers improved accuracy and inspection times and no twisting of the umbilical
- Rotary speed up to 10rpm
- Applicable to bores from 60 to 350mm including chambered bores
- Accuracy of +/-0.5mm
- Axial speed up to 100mm/s
- Suitable for bores up to 14m long scanned in 1m sections
- Flange or floor mounted
- Flat pack construction for transportation
Ultrasonic Multi-Element Transducers
Two arrays are used, each fitted with up to four standard elements
- 1 x TSIS – MDH Advanced 85mm to 350mm
- TSIS MDH Advanced 85mm to 305mm (with changeable parts)
- TSIS MDH umbilical (20m)
- TSIS Manipulation bar (1.0m long per metre of shaft length)
- TSIS Support bush (one per manipulation bar)
- TSIS-MDH-ADV adapter cables for calibration
- PRISM – 2 linear drive with head support for inspection from the start of the bore
- Pair of probe arrays – UT array, maximum 4 elements and UT and ECT array (No. of pairs dependent on bore diameters)
- TSIS – MDH expanding support for inspection of chambered bores (bores with varying diameters)
- Set of TSIS & PRISM Transport crates
- Couplant Pump
- Set of operating and maintenance manuals
- Adapters for calibration blocks and shafts – 1 set
- Linear drive support tripod
- Workbench/Lift table and adjustment frame
System Spares Package – Minimum Spares package to include 1 off each of the following:
- UT Pre amplifier
- TSIS-MDH actuator
- TSIS-MDH slip ring set
- TSIS-MDH tilt sensor
- TSIS-MDH nose switch
- TSIS-MDH couplant seal
- PRISM linear actuator
- PRISM drive belt