Request a Quote
This manually-operated magnetic scanner is ideal for weld inspection of steel pipes using multiple probes including phased array, TOFD and pulse-echo. The MultiMag can be used on 3” pipes up to flat plate. The compact scanner is highly versatile and can carry up to four ultrasonic probes.
A very versatile weld inspection scanner, the MultiMag can be configured for inspecting pipe to pipe or pipe to elbow circumferential welds, as well as single sided inspections of pipe to fitting welds. It can hold phased array, TOFD or pulse-echo transducers.
The MultiMag has large magnetic wheels that provide a stable platform and a smooth rolling motion. The frame includes angular adjustment to enable the scanner to be used on small diameter pipes. It can be used to test welds on pipes from 3” up to flat plate. The wheels can be positioned anywhere along the scanning frame to give the flexibility to configure the scanner to suit the inspection geometry.
The MultiMag can hold up to four transducers, arranged as two pairs on either side of the weld. The transducers are mounted to sprung-loaded toolposts that push them onto the surface with a constant force providing a stable positioning system. The transducers can easily be re-positioned relative to the weld, fixed in place with a thumb screw. The toolposts incorporate gimbals in two directions to ensure the transducers stay in contact and accommodate surface variations. Low-profile toolposts are available for operation when surface clearance is restricted.
The MultiMag can operate with any multi-channel flaw detection system. It includes a sprung-loaded wheel encoder that is wired to suit the customer’s instrumentation. Optional accessories include a guide chain to maintain scanner alignment and direction or a laser guide for the operator to track a weld line by eye.
- Holds up to 4 probes
- Pivoting arms to optimize probe contact
- Tool-posts are independently sprung and gimballed
- Wheel brackets tilt to assist with misaligned welds
- Quick release handles allow easy movement of wheels, tool-post and encoder positions
- Operates in any orientation from 3” O/D up to flat plate
- No need for adjustment tools due to quick release handles on all moveable parts
- Positional encoder output
- Robust modular construction for practicality on site
- Large PCS version available
- For use with any manufacturers probes, wedges and instrumentation
- Kit & Accessories
Standard MultiMag 4 Kit:
- MultiMag Scanner frame
- 4 x magnetic wheels
- 2 x 30mm TOFD tool-posts
- 2 x 40mm PA tool-posts with cradle to hold PA wedge (customer to specify wedge type
- 5m encoder terminated for (customer to specify type)
- Irrigation tubing and accessories
- Hard carrying case
- Side arms: for small diameter inspections
- Laser pointer
- Bar: to achieve a wide PCS
- Cradles and toolposts: to suit various manufacturers probes/wedges
- Encoder extension cable
- Toolpost angle adjusters: for transverse defect detection